Information on appendicitis -- inflammation of the possibly more appropriately named, "immune, detoxification, digestive and hormonal support organ."
The below content presents information on the known functions of the appendix, known causes of appendicitis, and methods suggested by top authors from the fields of nutrition-based medicine, naturopathic medicine and natural healthcare, for improving the health of the appendix and digestive health. Links to nutritional supplements are to examples of popular products from the natural products industry (not specific product recommendations).
- "A lymphoid organ that opens into the first part of the large intestine." (1)
- "has mucosa resembling that of the colon, but here it is heavily infiltrated with lymphocytes." (2)
- "A lymphocyte is one of the subtypes of white blood cell in a vertebrate's immune system. Lymphocytes include natural killer cells (NK cells) (which function in cell-mediated, cytotoxic innate immunity), T cells (for cell-mediated, cytotoxic adaptive immunity), and B cells (for humoral, antibody-driven adaptive immunity). They are the main type of cell found in lymph, which prompted the name 'lymphocyte.' " (3)
- T and B cells are key anti-cancer cells.
- "In the fetus, the appendix contains endocrine cells that manufacture hormones and other important body chemicals." (1)
- "In young adults, the appendix is believed to play a part in the functioning of the immune system. It is involved in the maturation of B lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell) [B cells, as listed above] and assists in producing an antibody called immunoglobulin A" (1; links added)
- "Immunoglobulin A (IgA, also referred to as sIgA) is an antibody that plays a crucial role in the immune function of mucous membranes. The amount of IgA produced in association with mucosal membranes is greater than all other types of antibody combined. In absolute terms, between three and five grams are secreted into the intestinal lumen each day. This represents up to 15% of total immunoglobulins produced throughout the body.
- Involved with production of good bacteria for the intestines (which are a major part of our health, since there are 10x more bacteria in our intestines, than there are cells in our bodies; this bacteria also has anti-cancer effects; and, a study of 1,165 colon cancer patients showed that 67 percent had their appendix removed). (4)
- "...The appendix exudes a small amount of oil, in its healthy operating state, that aids in lubricating the cecum and the ascending colon. This is the only section, the ascending colon, of the large bowel where the food particles must go uphill, and the small amount of lubrication is definitely an advantage when the fecal matter is heavy and lacking adequate moisture to move easily with peristaltic action." (4)
- Video (an informative video, but the information stated on no known side effects of surgery is not accurate, as documented above, and below)
- "It can be either acute or chronic." (6)
- "The risk of developing appendicitis increases after a recent illness, especially a gastrointestinal infection or a roundworm infection." (1; link added).
- Natural medicines helpful for curing eliminating a gastrointestinal infection: probiotics, digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid, Swedish bitters, and other digestive support herbs.
- "Behaviors that increase risk of poor digestive function: chronic use of antibiotics, eating commercially vs. organically grown foods, excessively large meals or high levels of sugar, fat or refined foods, not regularly taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement, taking antacids." (5)
- "To improve nutritional status: Eat organically grown foods. Take a high quality multivitamin and mineral supplement..." (5)
- "To improve digestion: Take herbal bitters with meals. Take one or two 10-grain tablets of betaine hydrochloride with pepsin. (2: See About the Product). Have your stools tested for parasites if you have been to a Third World country or are in close contact with someone who has. Supplement with acidophilus (such as HMF or Eugalin Forte) once a day between meals." (5; links added)
Appendicitis Causes (address the causes of illness to truly cure illness)
- "Appendicitis is primarily caused by improper diet." (1)
- "Most cases involve a blockage of the large intestine resulting from a fiber deficient diet." (1)
- "Appendicitis, whether chronic or acute, can be caused by a low-fiber, junk-food diet, a toxic colon from long-standing poor digestion, or chronic constipation. It can also follow a viral or bacterial infection." (6)
- "It may be caused by a faulty digestion, intestinal catarrh, fecal concretions and, in comparatively rare cases, by foreign particles being lodged in the appendix. This is the explanation given by Otto Mausert, N.D., Herbs." (4)
- Stress can greatly inhibit digestive function. (There are so many nerves going to the digestive tract, it is being called the "second brain.")
- Denosumab (aka Prolia and Xgeva) and other pharmaceutical drugs can cause appendicitis.
- Lita Lee, PhD, is a co-author of a book on enzymes, http://www.litalee.com/shopcontent.asp?type=AboutUs (a co-author with Burton Goldberg, whose website I managed for four years). In her book, she mentioned that deficiencies of enzymes are a cause of appendicitis (and poor digestion, digestive tract related problems, bone problems, osteoporosis, arthritis, bone spurs and many other healthcare concerns). There was very good section on enzymes and appendicitis (chronic vs. acute) in her book, with case history healing examples, written in 1997. It might be helpful to call her (503-775-2251) to hear about her current research on the topic.
- "...Since pathology rules, I could not treat her other problems, such as bone pain, weight gain and nutritional deficiencies, until I had dealt with them." Meaning, the causes of the condition [inflammation of the appendix, a part of the large intestine, due to poor digestive function or other factors listed here] must be addressed, or other conditions related to the cause will not be addressed, and the appendix would be needlessly surgically removed.
- "Appendicitis is an acute or chronic inflammation (presence of leukocytes or pus) with or without infection (presence of bacteria) of the appendix, medically termed the vermiform appendix and located at the cecal end of the large intestine, or colon."
- "Chronic appendicitis seems to be a common condition, even amoung young children. Symptoms cary widely and often go unrecognized. They may range from vague complaints, such as mild nauaea or stomachache, slight headache, and a general feeling of malaise, to sever abdominal paints without fever, severe nausea or vomiting, and chronic vomiting episodes without fever or pain. While acute appendicitis symptoms include nausea and vomiting, it is uaually, but not always, accompanied by fever and extreme pain. Another difference between the two conditions is that in chronic appendicitis, symptoms disappear between episodes. In acute appendicitis, the symptoms do not disappear and the condition can be fatal without surgery."
- "In much of Europe, chronic appendicitis is a recognized health condition and it is often treated with both antibiotics and nutritional remedies. Surgery is avoided unless the condition is judged to be life threatening. In America, most doctors do not recognize chronic appendicitis, and the general opinion is that all cases of appendicitis are acute, requiring surgery. However, there are American health practitioners who believe chronic appendicitis can be reversed with diet and nutritional therapy. Unfortunately, most people who have chronic appendicitis don't realize it until it has developed into a life-threatening condition."
- "Patient History: Two Years of Pain with Chronic Nausea Reversed..." (6)
- Related conditions, diet and nutritional supplements utilized: low thyroid function addressed, whole foods diet, carrots, Citricidal (grapefruit seed extract), enzyme supplements, and soil-based organisms (beneficial microbes, or probiotics, found in soil).
- Possible cause: food sensitivities.
- "To lessen the risk of appendicitis, you should eat a diet high in soluble fiber, avoid refined and fried foods, and limit your intake of cooked animal products to one servinig a day." (1)
Problems Resulting from Appendicitis:
- "The blockage stops the natural flow of fluids, which facilitates the growth of harmful bacteria from the intestinal tract, resulting in inflammation of the appendix." (1)
- It appears that the condition is being healed effectively without surgery (examples listed above and below) by addressing the causes of the illnesses, and supporting the body's healing systems.
- The below information "Natural Cure Examples for Appendicitis" provides some details on how appendicitis was commonly treated before surgery became popular for healthcare concerns (although, not always needed, nor the optimal healthcare choice; examples: trigger finger, osteoarthritis). And, the above information on enzymes provides additional, successful, "address the cause," current non-surgical treatment options.
- "Surgery decreases the risk of side effects or death associated with rupture of the appendix. Antibiotics may be equally effective in certain cases of non-ruptured appendicitis." (2)
- Natural antibiotics (listed below, some of which are equally effective to antibiotics) and natural immune, digestive and inflammation supporting methods may therefore also be equally effective (or more effective) in certain cases of non-ruptured appendicitis.
- "It is one of the most common and significant causes of severe abdominal pain that comes on quickly worldwide. In 2013 about 16 million cases of appendicitis occurred. This resulted in 72,000 deaths globally. (2)
- 1/222 people died from the condition. The statistic does not differentiate between those who had surgery, and those who did not. (Wikipedia, The Lancet)
- "According to the CDC, over 320,000 people are hospitalized each year, and up to 400 Americans die due to appendicitis."(7)
- 1/800 Americans with appendicitis died from the condition. The statistic does not differentiate between those who had surgery, and those who did not. (Mercola, The CDC)
- The surgery benefits are misleading, because they discount (and do not count) the adverse affects of appendix removal.
Natural Healthcare and Appendicitis
- Address the causes, listed above.
- Enzyme therapy, listed above.
- http://www.herballegacy.com/Appendicitis.html (Dr. John R. Christopher's formulas were used by Nature's Way herbs, a top herb company, and Dr. Christopher is considered on of American's top "old time" herbalists. The article also references Jethro Kloss, author of Back to Eden, a classic book on herbal medicine and natural healthcare.)
- "Vitamin A enhances immunity and protects against infection ... B vitamins are necessary for proper assimilation of all nutrients ... Vitamin C helps detoxify the system, protect against infection, and enhances immunity ... Vitamin E promotes healing ... Chlorophyll helps speed cleansing of the bloodstream." (1)
- Goldenseal has proven to be a highly effective herbal antibiotic, healing even severe infections and inflammation, when combined with other natural treatments for immune support (such as echinacea, vitamin C, vitamin A and zinc). (5) Goldenseal has some of the same immune supporting properties as bayberry bark, mentioned here (4).
- Ginger and turmeric help with many healthcare concerns related to the immune system, digestion, inflammation and detoxification.
- Vitamin A can help normalize fevers, and potassium has many beneficial effects on health (daily value recommended for potassium is 4-5x higher than calcium).
Natural Healthcare and Appendicitis, Research Summary
Based upon the above information (immune support, digestive support and hydration to possibly remove blockages in the appendix)
- Lots of water, lots of rest, and reduce stress.
- Probiotics (beneficial bacteria help overall digestive health and immune function).
- Organic foods (higher in nutrients and soil organisms that promote improved health; agricultural chemicals cause many adverse health effective, including harm/inflammation to the digestive tract).
- Vegetable juice (2/3 carrot, or carrot and apple, and 1/3 greens and peas). Beta carotene / vitamin A (originally called the "anti-infective nutrient" in carrots helps immune system fight infections (rather than taking antibiotics, which kill probiotics). Greens are high in many nutrients, including carotenes (some of which convert to vitamin A), chlorophyll, vitamin C, B vitamins, vitamin K and minerals. Peas are high in B vitamins and protein. Popular "heal all" vegetable juice blend: raw potassium broth. (4) And, other juices, such as cucumber lemon; apple ginger; carrot, apple, ginger; carrot, apple, turmeric, etc.
- Nature's antibiotics: goldenseal root (3-4 capsules, 3-4x per day) and 2-4 cloves of garlic, mixed in a mashed avocado. Have some garlic/avocado mix with vegetable juice (the fats in avocado help absorption of fat-soluble nutrients vitamins A, D, E and K). (5)
- Lymphatic system support: echinacea (3-4 capsules, 3-4x per day) and garlic. (5)
- Slippery elm tea (or gruel). Purchase online. May help elimination of blockage. (4)
- Soak flax seeds in water for a few hours (forms a gel type of water), and drink the water. May help elimination blockage. (4)
- 2-3 inches of fresh aloe leaf gel. Healing to the digestive tract, with well-documented antibacterial, and antiviral effects. (5)
- Soaked sunflower seeds (top source of vitamin E, for immune support, helping normalize inflammation, and healing for mucous membranes).
- Finely blend slippery elm (few TBS), soaked flax seeds (about 1 TBS), flax seeds soaking water, sunflower seeds (few TBS), aloe gel, and extra water to make a mixture. Oats can also be soaked overnight and blended in, with 1 TBS of lecithin. Raisins or fresh fruit can be added (chew well fruit with seeds, like strawberries or blueberries). http://www.emeraldcityclinic.com/educational/pdfs/immune_breakfast.pdf.
- Lots of water and fluids may help eliminate the blockage.
- Cabbage juice. One liter per day of fresh juice taken throughout the day resulted in total ulcer healing (confirmed by x-rays) in an average of only 10 days. High in vitamin C, sulfur compounds and glutamine (promotes healing of the digestive tract). (5)
- 1 gm of glutamine on days when not having cabbage juice. (5)
- Eliminate common food sensitivities: dairy, wheat, eggs, peanuts, soy, fish, shellfish, nuts.
- High-potency multivitamin and mineral (1 tab, 3x per day), vitamin C with bio-flavonoids (1 gm, 3x per day), pancreatic enzymes (1 tab with each mean/snack/juice). (5; 1)
- Take one or two 10-grain tablets of betaine hydrochloride with pepsin. (2: See About the Product). (5)
- Digestive analysis for parasites (price: about $250-300, results take about 2 weeks). Enzymes, garlic, goldenseal, probiotics and HCl are all also common recommendations for parasites. (5)
- Enemas and colonics may also help soften and eliminate blockages. (4)
- Plenty of sunlight (Vitamin D for immune optimization and inflammation normalizing effects).
- Prayer and the mind actively involved in healing.
- Naturopathic doctors, experts in nutrition-based medicine and natural healthcare, were recently licensed in PA and MA as family physicians (on an equal or similar level as MDs), and they can likely provide additional help.
Appendicitis Research References
- Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing, Balsch
- Total Wellness: Discover The Body's Healing Systems and How They Can Work for You!, Pizzorno
- The Enzyme Cure, by Lee, Turner and Goldberg